A friend of mine asked my husband today how I built my pallet strawberry planter, and he told her that I surely put it on my ‘web page thingy’. So, I’m putting it on my web page thingy in the event she looks.
I built this early this spring, before treasuredchaos.com existed, so before I took two million pics in an effort to get three good ones. That being said, this isn’t a tutorial. You’ll find that at lovelygreens.com. Can’t say that my construction was as seem-less as hers, and her site has a wealth of other useful info about picking food safe (or at least food safer) pallets and so on. Check it out, if not for making this, just for the description of what all the hoopla on the stamps mean. It seems like I did this like most things, scrolled through her pics and went out with an idea of what I was doing. I can’t promise that mine is just like hers, though.
I don’t know how to use a jigsaw My jigsaw didn’t cooperate, so my oldest son and I pulled an old two-handled saw back and forth to cut half of it apart. That’s why the top of mine looks sort of like a picket fence some places and straight cuts others. I didn’t paint the inside because I wasn’t sure about the safety of the paint. I’m sure I’ll be making a new one within a few years because it rots. I painted used black spray paint just to make sure I got paint all the way between the boards and intended to go back over them with red paint, but I decided I sort of liked it like that and just left it. My husband grows hay so that’s what I used to sort of hold the dirt in the sides. Straw would surely be better as it doesn’t contain any weed seeds and has some other useful properties, but I just used what I had. I really haven’t had to do much weeding, just a horse-weed or blade of grass here or there. I just put hay in the bottom and added dirt up to the next side slat, then hay along the sides and sort of worked a small hole with my fingers and added the plant through. I filled in the dirt to the next gap in the sides then did the same hay-hole-plant- fill thing over and over on both sides and the ends until I got to the top then spaced out my remaining plants. I’m going to guess it took about fifty plants.
The plants were just starting their growth in the picture, but just when they started to get blooms and fill out the goat got out. She was pretty sure that we had built a trough full of delicious plants just for her! I’m not exaggerating to say that she went straight for it, because in a matter of the 5-10 minutes she could’ve been out, she ate everything from the top and half the sides down to the dirt. The chickens must’ve been watching and thought it looked like a lot of fun because within another hour they had completely pulled any left with foliage completely out. This was about the time that I started wondering if the devil works through roosters. I shoved most of them back in, but I honestly didn’t care enough by this point to get them all. They have grown back and are putting on runners now, but we didn’t get but two tiny berries this year! So, that’s my planter. Better luck next year.
Note: This is a very very raised bed, so it takes some watering (it did when things were normal, anyway…before the sky broke for a month). Also, I literally took this picture right when I got it planted just to send to my mom and a friend I was on the phone with while building it, so it hadn’t been watered or anything at this point. I’ll try to remember tomorrow to take a pic of it now.